Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Years in Iowa City, with Phil and Resolutions

I'm at the Sheraton, Andrew made a flight out today, which is amazing since it's freezing and snowing. American Airlines isn't even flying today, major delays out of Chicago.
Phil's flight got cancelled out of Chicago into Moline last night, luckily he managed at the last minute to get a puddle hopper to Cedar Rapids 6 hours later than originally due into Moline. That was good too as I had made it as far as Iowa City, didn't want to drive to Illinois and had booked us into this hotel at a great price. I thought if we'd be stuck somewhere up here, being walking distance to the Mill, where an Afro-Caribbean group were playing at midnight might have it's merits.

"Euforquestra is an eclectic world-beat ensemble from Iowa City, IA with interests in different cultural and traditional musics from all over the globe. The band has made a mission statement out of preserving different traditions, indiscriminatingly trying anything at least once and fusing different styles that appeal to them. The self-proclaimed "Afro-Caribbean-Barnyard-Funk" touches on such genres as Afrobeat, Afro-Cuban, Samba, Soca, Funk, Reggae, and Bluegrass."

They did, we sat in the "seniors section", and danced in the New Year with a few Fairfield kids, in the distance, doing the conga at 12:30AM. Afterwards trying to find food we hung out with all the crazy kids looking for food like us at 1AM. We ended up at Pizza on Dubueque, with the girls who had barely a stitch of clothing on and bare feet in the snow, ah to be young and foolish again (not!)
New Years Resolutions:
1. Give to charity more
2. Love and accept more
3. Let go more
4. Write tons and tons (get the book DONE) more
5. Travel more, all the places I want to
6. Listen better than ever (more!)
7. See my kids more
8. Do more for the world
9. Do more for the world
10. Do more for the world

Wishing you the Best of Years to come with, well,... with more PEACE for us all
I love you Debs

1 comment:

writerwinterlight said...

Debs,
You are making me tired simply reading these resolutions, but I know you have the energy to do what you want to do.

P.S. That rooie tea will kill ya.
Ha -- just kidding. I myself have developed a great love of organic cafeinated coffee. But that's what makes the world go 'round. Also I always am sure to take my calcium/mag/zinc supplements. It's the only thing I take regularly and as Pam at Thymely said so many years ago - there's not much the drug companies can do to calcium supplements(as in GE'ing them) because there is not enough money(my thoughts)in that.
Anyway, enjoy the tea and the resolutions.