Saturday, November 24, 2007

more poetry

Thanksgiving... was... here in Mendocino with Andrew, his roommate Timmy, his girlfriend Rose and my amazing man Phil. Today he and I joined my friend Linda Holly, her husband and three other friends. The seven of us ate a laughing lunch out. They were here to spread the ashes of her friend, also called Linda's husband who a year ago fell of the cliff in Mendocino to his death by accident, on Thanksgiving eve. Now a year later his widow was here create new memories and celebrate his life and laugh with new people in her life. Also got to spend time with Holly and Johnathan, Harris kids and the Leeds. what fun.......on the road back to Berkeley one day later than planned

from morning to night they are e-mailing me and saying on the streets
you make a good couple
I remind him of Sarah
He reminds me of Bob

together we make well
we make love well
we make food well
we make funnies well

he keeps me on tracks when I go off so fast
but he does it without ever leading me anywhere and
everywhere I want to go
I want to take him to London
I want to go to where the Oxaca/Quichol Indians live/lived
with him

We want to go to maybe to Italy
it doesn’t matter
someone said he’s your soul mate
someone else said “you’ve got yourself a cowboy there”

and I say
yes yes yes yes yes

The Hat

I’ve got a hat that I don’t take off lately
except contradicting what Randy Newman said
I take that hat off to make love
take off the layers of stories
shed the layers of others
it’s the snake in me shedding

I remember already
there has never been another
like him
of course they/we are all different
and all those words mean nothing
we like the luckiness of things

it’s how he makes me feel
lucky, free, accepted, whole, safe
I’m sitting in the sun
I know that I don’t need his love
I love his love
like I love avocados

it’s just like Robert Creeley said
love comes quietly, softly, falls upon me, about me
in the same old ways,
....but now it’s not in the same old ways
no, this time it’s laughing at me, with me, on me,
raining down, over me, awash me

freeing me of all the unwanted stuff


No comments: